Rubber Tree Ficus elastica
- The rubber plant can be a bit finicky when it comes to water. If it is kept too wet, it will react with yellowing leaves that drop.
- The same can be said of too little water.
- When it is dry a few inches down, thoroughly water.
- It will need less in lower light situations.
- If it is in a large pot (over 12″) use a dowel or stick to help decide if the plant needs water. Put the dowel all the way down to the bottom of the pot and leave it there for a few minutes. When you pull it out, if the bottom of the dowel is wet, don’t water. If dry, water thoroughly.
- The rubber tree would prefer bright light such as an east or west window would afford.
- It can tolerate low light.
- The variegated versions need to be in a higher light situation to keep its variegation.
- Fertilize with a balanced fertilizer every fourth watering at 1/2 strength from March -September.
- Wipe the leaves down with a damp cloth or sponge or shower often to keep the dust off the plant’s large leaves.